Saturday, July 27, 2013

Narrowing Down a Topic--- Week 2

This week I have really focused on narrowing down my action research topic. I knew I wanted to do something with student engagement, but was struggling with how to incorporate the technology aspect I needed to include. My principal encouraged me to use Schlechty's Design Qualities to help me narrow down my topic. The school district has been pushing the staff to use these qualities to increase student engagement. After reviewing them (http://www.schlechtycenter.org/tools/free <-- you can find them here) I chose to focus on "Novelty and Variety". This allows me to compare technology options to more paper/pencil options and see if giving them variety increases student engagement.

I then chose to narrow it down to just writing time as well. I teach kindergarten and it is very difficult to ask a five year old to sit and write for 45 minutes. If I can add some variety, including technology options, to my writing time, I think I can increase their engagement in writing. Writing is very important in kindergarten along with reading and I would love to have my students more engaged in writing. I also want to show them there are many ways to write and I hope to find ways to allow all my student to love writing. I am waiting to hear back from my principal about her thoughts on my ideas.

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Schlechty's Design Qualities so I clicked on the link you gave. I'll have to spend more time looking at all the things that are available. Anyway, it sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do. I'm sure that what you find out can be adapted for other grade levels. Many kids don't like to write because they don't know what to write about. Using technology will help them be more interested and not focus on what they think they can't do. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My principal attended Schlechty training this past year. I think they had four or five sessions. I remember her talking about it at the beginning of last year, but it never got implemented. It's so frustrating because time and again teachers are told about new strategies but there is no follow through. I checked out your link, and it does look interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kindergarten, bless your heart that takes a special person. You are so right about how important writing is for the babies. My kids were at private school at the beginning of their schooling and they learned cursive in pre-k. It was awesome, but in high school their printing was horrible and when they used that medium they had issues with grading...kind of a strange thing we never thought of. I hope you have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have never heard of Schlechty's Design Qualities. I will definitely look into it. Writing is important and your idea sounds like it would be very engaging and novel to have them do some work online. Students even in the upper grades seem to look at technology like it is fun and play even when they are learning. Of course, with lots of animation no wonder they like it. I think too, some of them are very used to watching a lot of TV. I was surprised when I ask in my classes(3rd grade) which is a title 1 school how many students have TV's in their room more than 90% of the students usually do.

    ReplyDelete