Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Action Research Plan Template

My kindergarten students come into my classroom with a short attention span. Part of our curriculum towards the middle of the year requires us to have our students sit and write for 30-45 minutes on their own. Even with guidance, many children have a difficult time staying engaged in their writing for this amount of time. Using Schlechty’s Design Quality of “Novelty and Variety” I would like to find ways to increase my students’ engagement in writing. I would like to incorporate technology aspects into the “Novelty and Variety” to meet the technology standards.

References
Schlechty Center. (2009). Schlechty Center. Retrieved July 23, 2013, from http://www.schlechtycenter.org/tools/free

Action Planning Template
Goal: Increase student engagement through the use of “Novelty and Variety” during writing time.
Action Steps(s):
Person(s) Responsible:
Timeline: Start/End
Needed Resources
Evaluation

Assess student engagement during traditional writing time


Katie Gould

November 2013- January 2014

Spreadsheet to track student engagement

Results from tracking student engagement

Research ways to add “Novelty and Variety” to writing time


Katie Gould

November 2013-January 2014

Internet resources, books, conversations with others, other resources I find on the topic


List of ways to increase “Novelty and Variety” to writing time

Implement new ways to add “Novelty and Variety” to writing time


Katie Gould

January 2014-June 2014

iPad, computers, and other materials I find from my previous research

Keep documentation of the ways I try to add “Novelty and Variety”

Assess student engagement during writing time with “Novelty and Variety”


Katie Gould

January 2014-June 2014

Spreadsheet to track student engagement

Results from tracking student engagement

Compare assessment of student engagement from traditional writing time to “Novelty and Variety” writing time


Katie Gould

June 2014-August 2014

Spreadsheets with student engagement information

Draw conclusions from comparing spreadsheets and post results of action research plan

Share results with others including site supervisor

Katie Gould

August 2014-September 2014

Results of action research plan  and graphs or documents to back up the results


Final document or product to share results

14 comments:

  1. Katie- looks so detailed! Awesome- one question: when you say assess engagement, how do you plan on doing this? I think that is great that you included a section for sharing your results as this is just as important as the implementation of the plan. Your plan is going to ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your topic and timeline. You've given yourself more than enough time to do thorough research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree your plan is good. A way to assess in engagement, you could have your antidotal notes or maybe make a way to test with two different classroom with those variables. I would like to read your paper. - M. Chaisson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that will be a good plan. You've spread it out enough and I don't think it will be too much. I think you might have to be more specific on how you're going to assess them, but maybe that comes a little later. I like that your plan is straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You are so organized!
    I agree on the assessment questioning. What do you have in mind on assessments? Will it be mainly documented on anecdotal records?

    I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to track the results. I might keep a clipboard with each student's name and record the number of times I have to give them reminders to stay on task or do their work. I can then compare those numbers to the numbers when I add in a variety of activities to writing time. I also may take a student survey and ask about how they like the writing time. I wouldn't do that everyday, but maybe once a week or so and get the student opinions added into my results.

    Thank you so much for all the feedback! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks good to me.I haven't started mine yet so I will use yours as some guidance. It does look pretty easy to tackle now! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very organized, detailed & easy to follow. Looks like you are definitely on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie, I like your idea. I have a question though? You might tackle it in your paper at some point. 45 minutes seems pretty long for kinder. Would this involve more than one writing activity or drawings? Are you going to use your reflective journal in this process? Will you be seeking out any other literature to explore how other schools/teachers have accomplished this. I think it is a great assignment and having 3rd graders that still have challenges with this will be interesting to note your success.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great! Very well thought out and planned. I like that your resources include collaboration and conversations with colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I teach 5th grade so I can only imagine what it must be like to keep kindergarten students on task. Could you possibly track "words written per session" as a way to assess engagement? Perhaps track the length of journal entries? You could justify engagement and its correlation to words written.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katie this is very impressive. How / what procedures will you have to go through with your school / administration to have permission to assess new methodology on students? One of the possible action research topics I was investigating was discouraged by my site supervisor. Will you be providing the parents with disclosure? You may consider googling "informed consent" and read up on the particulars for minors. Good luck on your action research plan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also teach kindergarten with the goal of 30 minutes of writing daily. I wonder if you could start the implementation before January. Having only half of the year to implement a plan might not be long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I commented on the discussion board, but also, I was wondering if you could subdivide the research into the different types of technology the students are using. Maybe some might work longer on a desktop, or a laptop, or an ipad? Just a thought....not that I want to add any work to your study! :)

    ReplyDelete